Gastric Balloon (also known as Intragastric Balloon) is one of the recent treatments for Obesity.
Gastric Balloon is usually utilized for Morbidly Obese people to reduce the risk of surgical intervention. With this method, the aim is to fill a part of stomach with a balloon to suppress the hunger. It is mostly preferred for those who have BMI between 27-35kg/m2 and who do not have any additional ilnesses such as diabetes.
There are 3 types of Gastric Balloon
- 4 Months ( Elipse Gastric Balloon)
- 6 Months
- 12 Months
Elipse™ Gastric Balloon
Elipse Gastric Balloon is the latest version of balloons and it takes only 4 months. It is also known as Elipse Gastric Pill and it does not require any endoscopy, it is applied by swallowing.
It allows you to be full with less amount of food just like the other types of gastric balloons. It also prolongs the digestion process so you feel hungry later than normal.
It easily allows you to follow a diet regimen to lose weight.
How Elipse™ Gastric Balloon procedure is performed?
Elipse Gastric Balloon is the only way of gastric balloon treatment that does not require any anesthesia, endoscopy or surgical intervention.
A balloon that is squeezed into the pill is swallowed with water. Once confirmed with abdominal X-Ray that it is has gone down to the stomach, it is filled with a solution up to 550Ml. At last, thin tube through which the liquid flows inside the stomach is taken out orally.
During this process it is not required neither anesthesia nor endoscopy. All procedure takes about 20 minutes in total.
Balloon stays inside the stomach for 16 weeks. After 16 weeks, evacuation cap is dissolved naturally and the liquid inside the balloon is excreted naturally. In this excretion process no surgical intervention is needed.
What are the advantages of Elipse™ Gastric Balloon?
- Elipse gastric balloon is safe. Since it is a non-surgical treatment, you don’t have to worry about possible complications or post-operation healing process.
- No anesthesia: It is the ideal way for those who are scared of having anesthesia or can not have anesthesia.
- No endoscopy: Elipse™ gastric balloon is swallowed with water and it does not require endoscopy.
- No extra intervention: In other types of gastric balloon, it is required to take the balloon out of the stomach via endoscopy. Elipse™ gastric balloon is excreted once it is dissolved in stomach.
- Compared to other types of gastric balloon, Elipse™ has the least chance of complications. With other versions of gastric balloon, complication percentage can go up to 20% and in some cases it has to be taken out, while this percentage is 1,49% with Elipse™.
Who are suitable for Elipse™ Gastric Balloon?
It can be preferred by those who are suitable for other types of gastric balloon. The only difference of it is the easiness of application. It is mostly preferred by those who are scared of anesthesia or those who can not have anesthesia. The number of patients that cancel their surgeries due to anesthesia issues is higher than thought. Besides, it does not require endoscopy to be removed because it dissolves naturally. Therefore, patient avoids anesthesia not once but twice.
How much weight can you lose with Elipse Gastric Balloon?
All the researches and results of patients that preferred Elipse™ Gastric Balloon show us that it is possible to lose around 13-15KGs in 4 months.
Beside Elipse Gastric Balloon, if the patient follows a diet regimen with a dieticians guideness, he/she can lose up to 25-30KGs.