Silicone is one of the most suitable materials for human body. There are 3 types of silicone implants such as solid, gel and liquid implants. Liquid implants were banned in 1996 due to its high risks.
One type of silicone implants is that has silicone outer surface and filled with physiological saline solution inside. The other type of silicone implant is that have gel compound inside. Those that have physiological saline solution may lose certain amount of volume through time. Whereas gel filled silicone implants do not lose that much volume. Recently “cohesive gel” filled implants have become very popular which do not lose any volume nor shape.
Breast Implants Types
Breast implants can be divided into different categories in terms of their features:
- In terms of shape:
- Teardrop (anatomical)
Round implants have the same diameter in the upper and lower surfaces. Whereas teardrop implants have shorter diameter in the upper surface, that is the exact reason why it is called anatomical implants as they resemble to a natural breast shape.
- Silicone compound
- Physiological solution (saline)
In terms of material there are two types of implants. Silicone gel filled and physiological saline solution filled versions.
- Silk coated
In terms of texture they can be divided in three such as textured, smooth and silk surfaced. Textured implants are less likely to have a capsular contracture than the smooth surfaced implants. Silk surfaced implants are even less likely to have a capsular contracture than the textured ones.
The most preferred implant sizes are between 250-375cc. The most widely used implant brands are Mentor, Motiva, Mc Ghan and Natrella. Even though each brand has its own features, we usually recommend Motiva or Mentor brands to our patients. After the operation you will be handed a certificate of these brands.
Why should I choose Teardrop (Anatomical) Implants ?
The type of prosthesis that will be preferred in breast augmentation surgeries is related to the expectations of the patient surgeon’s recommendations. Main reasons to choose the teardrop implants can be listed as follows;
- Those who would like to have a teardrop shaped breasts rather than a normal round shaped breasts can prefer it.
- Those who are underweight may prefer teardrop implants in order to avoid an unnatural transition of round implants in the upper part of chest.
- Those who have sagging nipples or sagging breast skin may choose teardrop implants in order to support and stretch the skin with a natural curve.
Why should I choose Round Implants ?
As mentioned above, the type of implant that will be preferred in breast enlargement surgery is related to the expectations of the person and the opinions and recommendations of the doctor. Main reasons to choose round implants can be listed as follows;
- Those who do sports such as swimming, kayak, surfing etc. can prefer round implants as teardrop implants are likely to move and create an asymmetry with physical effort. Round implants are not affected by physical movement and can hold their place.
- If the patient would like to have a breast lifting(mastopexia) operation, he/she can choose round implants so it can fill more space under the skin and the skin can adapt easier after the procedure.